Founded in 1985, Gemini Bio is a supplier of cell culture media, sera, and other reagents and instruments to many of the top research and academic institutions as well as biotechnology, cell/gene therapy, and pharmaceutical companies. Gemini Bioproducts, LLC, is a portfolio company of BelHealth Investment Partners, LLC a New York-based healthcare private equity firm. Gemini Bio, which operates in West Sacramento, California, is growth-focused and is expanding and enhancing its manufacturing capabilities driving toward higher quality and compliance standards commensurate with the needs of the commercial therapeutic space. Gemini Bio is augmenting its product portfolio through acquisitions, internal innovation, and partnerships.
The Process Scientist oversees all development projects that occur at Gemini Bio. This oversight includes looking to optimize yields, lower costs, improve process times within the established manufacturing processes as well as being the key Liaison between Gemini Bio and external collaborators on all internal projects including writing proposals, determining costs and creating preliminary work instructions for the manufacturing group. The Process Scientist will work with the manufacturing, Quality and Logistics groups as an SME to assist in the troubleshooting of issues that may arise. The ideal candidate will have experience in media formulations and a working knowledge of processes needed to produce and or purify materials used in the cell therapy and cell culture space. This candidate should know about GMP and GLP and have a general knowledge of regulations needed to produce materials for manufacturing use of therapeutic materials. This position will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Prepare development proposals and costing sheets for custom projects with external collaborators.
- SME on processes related to manufacturing.
- Create work instructions (batch records) for transfer of processes from external collaborators to manufacturing.
- Technical SME for customer complaints and technical questions.
- Project management for external projects.
- Through continuous improvements, work with manufacturing to improve yields, lower costs and improve quality of Gemini Bio’s core products.
Required Skills and Experience
- The candidate should have a BS, MS and/or PhD in chemical/biochemical engineering, molecular biology or related discipline with five or more years of relevant experience.
- Experience in cell culture formulation.
- Knowledge of cell culture systems.
- Knowledge of GMP.
- Knowledge of media manufacturing.
- A proven ability to work as part of a team to deliver results.
- Organization Skills – Ability to manage multiple priorities and know when to escalate issues for resolution.
- Effective Communicator.
- Good level of understanding with Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, project).
- Results driven